Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Auto Warranties

Okay, so I buy a car and it comes with a warranty. I get that. The warranty pays if something on the car breaks. It is good for a number of years and miles. Makes perfect sense. At some point in time, it expires. And therein lies the problem.

How come when my warranty expires, or gets close to expiring, does every Tom, Dick and Harry call me about a warranty? If I want to extend the warranty, I think I could figure out how. This thing called GOOGLE makes finding things like an extended warranty easy.

These folks call in the morning, in the afternoon and in the evening. And it is always an automated call that is supposed to sound like the manufacturer. It is not. I know its not. Ford has no interest in calling me. They don't care that much if I buy an extended warranty. They would rather have my car break down and have me bring it to them. That makes Ford happy - not some cheap extended warranty.

And these extended warranties are always nonsense. They cover like six things. And those six things have to happen on a Wednesday between the 11th and the 15th of the month, sometime after 11:30am and before 11:31am. The repairs are only covered by Manny - not even Moe or Jack. And if the horn beeps twice, then there is no coverage at all. Sheesh.

Now these folks have gone to email. They think that people want to buy an extended warranty over email. Why? Why would I buy their spam when I won't buy anyone else's spam. No, the President of Nigeria is not going to send me $10,000,000. No, I did not win the Sierra Leone lottery. No, I do not want your POC warranty that provides me no coverage. No, no, no.

Stop selling your fake warranties. Or at least remove me from your list.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brilliantly stated, I could not agree more.