Wednesday, December 12, 2012

We celebrate more than Christmas

Dear Steve Detrick:

We celebrate more than Christmas in this country. In fact, we celebrate a lot of holidays. There is Hannukah, Kwanzaa, Festivus, and my favorite, IOB.

What, you haven't heard of these holidays? I know. Let me start with my favorite. IOB - Ignorance of Other Beliefs. Yes, that is when you live in such a small, narrow world that you believe everyone must think like you. Signs of this include assuming everyone is like you, working for a bank or an insurance company, or being a douchebag.

Festivus started out on Seinfeld but some people celebrate it now. They celebrate it primarily to mock how commercialized Christmas has become. There are feats of strength. My feat of strength: I put up with folks like you who seem to think Christmas is the only holiday.

Hannukah is the festival of lights. Instead of one day of presents, we have 8 crazy nights, with apologies to Adam Sandler. Its celebrated by those of us who are called Jews. We don't just celebrate your holiday. We celebrate our own holidays. You should try looking this up.

Sincerely,

Me

PS Why did this come about? Oh yeah, on the 2nd day of Hannukah, I got a letter wishing me a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. You want to send out a mass email? Fine. But what happened to Happy Holidays? Is that too hard to do? I will NEVER vote for you again since you clearly believe the entire world thinks like you. You celebrate IOB and I don't. I believe in diversity and think it makes our town, our state, our country and our world a pretty interesting place. You should try it sometime.

No comments: