Friday, December 14, 2012

Today's tragedy and what we should learn

I have tried to stay out of the tragedy that happened today in Connecticut. I don't know those kids. I don't know the adults. I don't know anyone. At least, I don't think I know anyone and I can only hope and pray that I don't know them personally. I also pray for their friends and families.  But...........and you knew there was a but........... (By the way, if you are sensitive, don't read it.)

What I see on social media is not the America I know. In the America I know, we stand up and help each other in time of need. We stand, arm in arm, showing the world that America is still the greatest country on God's planet. Today, not so much.

What do I know about today? Not much. I know that this was a horrible tragedy. I know way too many people lost their lives. I know moms and dads are going to go the rest of their lives having lost their children, something that should never happen and I can't even pretend to begin to understand that pain.

So what do I know? I know that this is not a liberal versus conservative thing. The liberals want to talk about how if there was gun control this kid would not have gotten a gun. The conservatives want to talk about how if we had fewer gun restrictions maybe someone else would have had a gun and stopped it from happening. Do you know what I think about maybe? Maybe if my aunt had a penis she would be my uncle.

I know this is not a "bad person." This was a bad act. Was the kid bad? I just don't think so. Look, normal people don't do this. Even murderers dont do this. Ask guys in jail and people who hurt kids are different than they are. Clearly there was some other issue with this kid. Its a horrible event. But lets stop the nonsense of blaming his parents or saying he is an evil person. He had issues, that is clear.

I know this is not a sign that we are in trouble in our country. This happens everywhere. Maybe not this event, but every country in the world has its issues. Some countries just do a better job of hiding it - or maybe of providing help to those who need it most.

I know that if you are even thinking about unfriending someone on Facebook as a result of something they have posted, go ahead and unfriend me. I don't want friends who are so closed minded that they cannot see another point of view.

We had dinner tonight with some friends. I was talking to the husband. He and I probably could not have had more different upbringings. I grew up in New Jersey, in an upper middle class neighborhood where dads worked, moms stayed home and everyone had 2 cars, if not 3. I was the son of a PhD and a businessman. I didn't realize it then, but I had every possible advantage to succeed. He was born in another country, came to the US, grew up in a lower socio-economic class, and had to bust his tail for what he has. I am Jewish. He is Christian. I don't think I have a friend from a more different background.

But, tonight, we sat, we talked, we drank root beers and ate latkes. We lit candles. We enjoyed each other's company. We talked about religion and God. We talked about football and soccer. We talked about tragedy. And, we both came to realize that we aren't so different. Sure, I am a state school guy and he is a UC guy. But, we are both husbands and fathers who believe in some higher being. We believe in taking care of our families, in working hard, in playing hard, and in enjoying life.

Tonight, while some on social media were spewing nonsense and hate towards each other, we were talking about our commonalities, sharing our differences and, at least for me, as Fat Albert would say, learning a thing or two, if we aren't careful.

We can all agree this was a tragedy. We can all feel sorry for the parents and kids. We can hug our kids tonight and sleep knowing, despite this tragedy, we still live in the greatest country. What we need to stop is the hatemongering, the fearmongering and the idiocy that is going on.

Goodnight and God Bless.

No comments: