Tuesday, May 19, 2009

TV ads that ruin tv

That is so not redundant. There are some funny ads. They are usually on during the Super Bowl. You know, the Big Game. (Yes, the NFL actually tried to copyright that. Any college football fan knows the Big Game is Cal Stanford. Remember the band? Remember the laterals? Remember the band member getting run over? That is the Big Game. But, NFL, thanks for trying to ruin a college football tradition. And I don't even like Cal. Or Stanford for that matter.) But there are some good tv ads. I am sure. I can't think of any right now. But they are out there. But two ads are the worst. These ads make Flo from Progressive look good. They make rhyming lawyer ads look.........no wait, nothing is worse than a rhyming lawyer ad, right rhyming lawyer guys? Oh sorry, they would like to answer, but are preoccupied coming up with a new rhyme.

1. Boost mobile and the baby. Okay, so in this ad, some dufus who is about 30 is sitting in a baby bjorn and his dad is walking him through the grocery store. Dufus is talking about his freaking phone. Okay, for those of you who do not know, a baby bjorn is a baby carrier. Notice the name - BABY bjorn. Not 30 year old dufus bjorn. That name is just too long. Oh, and its just not funny. If I hadn't just seen the ad, I wouldn't know it was for Boost mobile.

By the way, what the heck is boost mobile anyway? Does it take your regular mobile service and supercharge it? Is it like a turbo? Is it a superhero? What is boost mobile?

Ah, you see, if I don't know, then it means your ad is lame. You don't tell me what you do. Why not? Because you think some big dumb looking guy who can't even act well sitting in a baby bjorn is funny. It is not. I promise you that. Boost mobile - fire your entire advertising agency. Now.

2. Let me by myself. And in this case, myself is apparently a sell out. Look, I like 3 doors down. They have some good songs. I own 2 of their cds. Well, I have two CDs on my iPod. So, is it considered having the CD that way? Anyway, they play some good music. But, they are now sellouts. They have taken a good song and let GEICO use it for their freaking caveman ads. I thought the caveman ads went the way of the caveman - dead! Gone. Kaput. See ya later. But, no, the ads are back because of 3 doors down. It is their fault. All their fault. We were free of the caveman. I thought the Gecko was almost gone too. But, heck, now we may see a resurgence of these bad insurance ads. And bad insurance ads are the worst. The absolute worst!

We really need some good ads. Can those PR companies work on it? Please? Otherwise, hire some radio folks. Maybe a DJ or two who could do an ad. Please? Soon?

1 comment:

Bill said...

I beg to differ. "30 year old dufus bjorn" IS a funny name for a product! In fact, if we have another kid, that's what I'm going to call what I carry him in.

As for the ads, they sound lame. But, thanks to the magic of the DVR, I haven't seen any of them. Whew!