Sunday, April 5, 2009

What the f?

Seriously. What the f? Why do people think it is appropriate to use this word, and its brothers in profanity, all the time?

I was at my adult co-ed soccer game today. Let me say that again: ADULT. CO-ED. GAME. Yes, a whole bunch of adults running around chasing a white ball for 100 yards. Men and women. I like competition as much as the next guy. No, wait, I like competition more than the next guy. I like to win. I admit it. But this is adult co-ed soccer. If I win, I get a lousy t-shirt. In fact, if I win, I will donate my t-shirt. I may even get everyone on my team to donate the t-shirts.

At today's game, we played GH United. I thought GH stood for Greenhaven. But, no, it stood for Going-to-Hell. Or maybe it stood for Gross Hookers. Or maybe it was Gigantic Hoodlums. Either way, this team made Andrew Dice Clay sound clean. From the first whistle, they were s eating, f dropping SOBs.

Now, I understand the occasional use of the f word. I get the fact that a construction worker can hit his hand with a hammer and yell it. I understand that an attorney may blow a deadline and yell "Oh s---." There is a time and a place where the once in a while use is okay.

But this was absurd. This was like walking through a prison. (Of course, it didn't hurt that one guy apparently wanted to fight me.) I thought I was listening to "Pelican Bay: The Greatest Hits."

I just don't understand. Why the constant need for profanity? And why when women and little kids are around? It just makes no sense to me. If these folks cannot keep their mouths clean, they should go play somewhere else - say the Folsom Prison Soccer League?

No comments: