Sunday, December 7, 2008

Bluetooth

Bluetooth - is that a great invention or what? Ignore for a moment the name - blue tooth? What is that? If someone had a blue tooth, that would scare me. But, it's not like it rhymes either. It seems like someone just made it up. How about redtoe? Does that work? I may start calling my bluetooth redtoe, just to see if it catches on.

But, beyond the dumb name, how come they can't get it to work more than 5 feet from the phone? After all, I can take my cordless telephone outside, down the street, and over past my neighbor's house. I don't lose reception. And if no one is driving up the street, they do not even know I am outside. It is great technology.

But, if I walk more than 5 feet from my cell phone, people can't hear a word I am saying. It sounds like I am standing next to the washing machine. My voice can't be heard and the static hurts my ears.

The bluetooth folks remind me a bit of the post office. Remember when the post office came out with stamps you do not have to lick? They were so excited about it. I still cannot figure out why since a stamp I do not have to lick is called a sticker - which they had since I was a kid at least three decades ago!

But the bluetooth people are the same way. They came out with this great invention, or so they say. But it doesn't work as well as my cordless phone. Why not? Would it really be that hard to send a signal from a phone to a headset at 20 feet? 30 feet?

Don't get me wrong - I will still use my bluetooth. I just cannot figure out why I cannot get more out of it.

No comments: