Thursday, December 4, 2008

Best Buy - Part I

Where to start? There is a ton to complain about. Let me start with this one.

So, I needed a new dishwasher. They were running a special over labor day. Sounded like a good time to buy a dishwasher. So, I did. I got myself a nice LG that was quiet and had good ratings. They delivered it three weeks later. Now, all I needed was them to install it. The installation guy came, opened the box, and BAM! It was broken. That's right - the fine folks at Best Buy delivered me a broken dishwasher.

I called them up. The folks at the 800 number, who apparently are in India, could not help me and told me I have to call the store. I called the store and they offered me the upgraded dishwasher for $50. The replacement was $100 more than the one I bought, so this seemed like a good deal. The key word - seemed.

I go to the store to complete the transaction because, for some reason known only to Best Buy, they can only do it in person. I wait and wait and wait. Finally, someone helps me. I am expecting to pay about $50 plus 7.75% sales tax. She rings me up - it is over $200. That makes no sense. So, I ask her for an explanation. Here it is: I have to pay for delivery and installation again. Yep, they want to charge me to redeliver and install a dishwasher when they delivered me a broken one in the first place.

It took me over 2 hours to get someone to fix this. They continued to explain to me that I needed to pay to have the dishwasher delivered again. The "manager," who it turned out was just some interim department manager, thought he was so smart in this. Then, when I finally got the return done, he realized he needed the dishwasher back. I explained to him when it would be available and told him if they weren't there at the right time, I was leaving it on the street for them.

Seriously, these people think they can charge you to deliver a dishwasher twice - when they delivered a defective one the first time. They wanted to charge me to install it a second time when it was never installed a first time.

They must think I have idiot written on my head. Do I have a tattoo that says "Screw me?" Are they that dumb or do they just not care? I wonder how they are still in business when Circuit City is in Bankruptcy. They must think that consumers have no idea what they are doing.

Newsflash to Best Buy: you are not the only game in town. Customer service still counts. People aren't spending money now. Why do you think we would spend it at a place where you treat customers like crap? We are in a recession. How do you get business? Treat people right. Freaking unreal folks at Best Buy.

No comments: