Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Breastfeeding Support

(Warning: I do use a few adult terms in this, but primarily those are breastfeeding and suckle!)

(Warning 2: I am not anti-breastfeeding and not making fun of breastfeeding!)

As you know, we are expecting. And when I say we, I mean she. I guess I am expecting. I am expecting her to go into labor. I am expecting a baby to come out. I am expecting 2 hands, 2 feet, 10 fingers and 10 toes. Actually, 8 fingers and 2 thumbs. I am expecting to pass out in the delivery room. I am expecting that I will be made fun of when I do. I am expecting that everyone reading this will send me emails making fun of me for admitting that I expect to pass out.

She is expecting a baby. She is expecting it to come out like her and not like me. It better. She is expecting to breastfeed.......and that is where it gets odd.

So, the hospital sent home a welcome packet. Basically, it tells us everything we might ever want to know about being pregnant. Thankfully they've got my back since none of my friends have stepped up. Included is "A Letter to New Dads." This has some great information. For example, I just found out that I was clearly not breastfed since I have allergies. Of course, I don't have asthma or childhood obesity, so maybe I was breastfed. Okay, if you know my mom, clearly I was not breastfed.

I also learned that breastfed children have a higher IQ, better eyesight and that all important straighter teeth. I wonder if the American Association of Orthodontists (and yes, I pulled that out without having to look it up - BOOYA!) is anti-breastfeeding. After all, its members make money off of crooked teeth. I bet the eye doctors are against breastfeeding as well. They like selling glasses, contacts and Lasik. (I know a good Lasik clinic, if you are looking for it. And now they guarantee 20-20 eyesight or your money back. Of course, the website needs some updating, but I tried to ask Jamie and she wouldnt respond to me! Their marketing guy can call me and I will give a free consultation on some marketing tips!)

Anyway, I now have 6 things I am supposed to do to help my baby's mother breastfeed longer. (Isn't that called my wife? Do we really want to start calling them baby mama's on literature? Aren't we better off if we say "dad, you can help your wife breastfeed longer?" Just wondering.)

1. Go to breastfeeding classes. Now, I don't know about the women reading this, but I am suspecting they would be uncomfortable with some strange dude showing up to watch them have a baby suckle on their breasts. I don't want some other dude watching my wife's breasts get sucked on. But maybe that's just me.
2. Help her share her plans with hospital staff. Um, do they really care what I think? And what exactly am I supposed to say? "Hey, doc, my wife wants the baby to suckle." Really, isn't that a conversation for her to have? I don't want her going to my doctor and saying "Look, he wants a little snip snip done."
3. Tell her I am proud of her. Huh? "Honey, I am so proud of you for breastfeeding." "Go Honey, go honey, go, go, go honey." "It's your birthday, baby is suckling." "Suck, suck, suck...." Seriously, I think any of these would get me slapped - hard.
4. Call a lactation consultant. "Hi, Lactation Consultant, my name is Juan and my wife needs help having the baby suck on her breasts." Part of me thinks this makes me a failure. Apparently, she hasn't had enough experience to be able to do it. And that is all on me. I failed! My man card should be turned in!
5. Encourage her not to offer pacifiers, bottles or formula. I don't know what it will be like post pregnancy, but I am not encouraging her to do anything that she doesn't want to do right now. What are they, crazy? Sheesh!
6. Protect mom from unhelpful comments. "For example, if someone says 'Are you still breastfeeding?' say 'Yes, isn't she great! It's important to breastfeed for at least one year." First, who really talks that way? Second, is someone going to ask my wife this question in front of me? Heck, is someone going to ask it at all. Really? Because I may look at them and ask "Are you still breathing?" That may be the dumbest thing I have heard. But I am so not going to say "Isn't she great?!" Is this freaking sesame street?

Think that is bad? There is more! More special ways dad can help mom:

1. Bring baby to mom for night feedings. Sure, is that moving the baby from the bassinet to the bed? Really, is that going to be helpful moving the baby like 4 feet?
2. Bring her food while she is breastfeeding. "Um, honey, want a turkey and cheese with a cup of milk, fries and cake for dessert. Oh, you have child with you. Should I not feed you while you have another human being sucking on you? But the hospital told me to!"
3. Encourage her to rest. Duh! Does a new mom really need that encouragement? Should I also encourage her to breathe?
4. Do chores. Was this written in the 1950s? Do men not do chores anyway? Thanks, I will pass that on to Ozzie and Harriet.


But, in honor of Billy Mays, that's not all. Remember 10 out of 10 doctors recommend breastfeeding for at least the first year of life. It was actually 10 out of 11, but then the 11th got fired!

Of course, I shouldn't be left out. I can still bond with my baby by:

1. Spending time with baby on my bare chest. Dude, that baby starts sucking on me and we will have issues! But my bare chest? Does this mean I have to shave it too? Or is hairy good enough? (Not that mine is, just wondering for those hairy guys out there!)
2. Give baby a bath. Aw, I can clean the little child after the baby eats and poops. WOO HOO!
3. Cuddle for a nap. Just don't roll over the baby and crush it or suffocate it. How about if baby naps in the crib and I don't have to worry about whacking my own baby?

I do appreciate these tips. Or, I could feed my baby a bottle once in a while and help out like I did. Its not my like my other kids didn't come out okay. Well, the one who is like me we have to watch out for, but the others are fine, I think. Maybe.

No comments: