Thursday, February 21, 2013

Speaking and writing

I have had this discussion with my boys frequently. The ability to communicate with others through the proper use of the language is vital. In fact, if you sound educated, people will assume you are educated and thus, will give you more respect. It doesn't matter if you are or are not, your ability to get people to think you are educated is key.

Remember my Embassy Suites disaster of 2013? If you don't, you can read it here: http://randomrants08.blogspot.com/2013/02/embassy-suites-disaster-2013.html A lot of that stemmed from the lack of ability of the employees to convey a thought using proper English. For example, how am I supposed to believe you care about my issue when you call the General Manager the "General Manger." I was always taught Jesus was born in a manger, but maybe it was the General Manger. When I pointed this out I was told I was attacking "someone character." Unless someone character is the name of a new show on cable, it is simply improper. I may have been attacking someone's character, but I do not know how to attack someone character. (For the record, pointing out that a customer service representative cannot communicate in proper English is not an attack on anyone. It is simply pointing out a lack of caring.)

We were at a father daughter dance a few weeks ago. The DJ told us that we could "have pictures took." I don't know how to have a picture took. I could have it taken. But later he told us it was our last chance for pictures to be "tooken." I don't even know what that means! And this guy speaks for a living! 

I was fortunate to spend my high school years on my speech and debate team. Yes, I was a debate geek. But I learned then the value of communicating. We had to put on a suit and tie and talk to people who had certain expectations of how we would use the English language. Mainly, those expectations were that we would use it properly!

There is a time and place it does not need to be used. My blog, for example. I am not writing a novel. I am not even writing an essay. I am blowing off steam. So if I don't use proper English, I don't care. If you want to send a text, feel free not to use proper English. I won't agree to it. I actually type out sentences and use punctuation. But if u want to txt like dat, feel free 2 do it. (Yes, that was meant to be that way.)

Sometimes, when I am talking to a client or a potential client, or maybe someone who caused a car accident, I will communicate in a style that fits them. Some 18 year old kid is going to be intimidated if I speak like a lawyer. Heck, adults are sometimes intimidated if I do that. But, if I can match their style, they feel a connection. That is a good thing.

But, please, let us try to use the language properly. Seriously. It is not rocket science. Write and speak like you understand the language and you will instantly get more respect, especially from old fogies like me!

No comments: