Thursday, December 5, 2013

The loss of common courtesy

If you are reading this, you probably know what I do for a living. But if you don't, I practice law. There is some joke that they call it the practice of law because we are always learning. Something like that. I probably blew that. That's okay. It was never that funny to begin with.

Anyway, I received a letter yesterday and I thought to myself "Hmmmm............that is not professional." But then I talked to people about it. I realized its not that it was not professional. It was definitely not professional. But that was not the problem with it. The problem was that there was no common courtesy. You see, here is the phone call that preceded this letter:

Them:
Me:
Them:
Me:
Them:
Me:

You did not misread that. That was not me losing the ability to write. That was the actual phone call. Wait, that's right. THEY NEVER CALLED ME!

Look, the world is a complicated place. Technology makes it too easy for us to text or email or kik or snapchat or whatever with other people. If you want something, do you know the easiest way to get it? This is going to come as a surprise................you should call them.

Yes, that thing that is plugged in on your desk that has numbers 0-9 and a handset? That is called a telephone. If you pick up that handset looking thingy, and you press either 7 or 10 numbers (technically, 11), and you hear this ringing sound. Then, either someone picks up the other telephone or it goes to this voice mail invention.

You see, you then get to have a conversation with someone. You talk. You work out issues. You resolve disputes. You make plans. You may even make a friend. It should not be rocket science to do this, especially if you think you are smart.

If I am smart enough to use a phone and you think you are smarter than me, than you should be smart enough to use a phone. If you can't, don't blame your generation. Don't blame your age. Blame your parents for not teaching you how to be courteous and how to interact with other people.

Is it really that hard? 

No comments: