Sunday, October 21, 2012

A challenge

As I was driving home from camping this weekend, I had two ideas. First, I could come here and vent. I need to vent. Look, my oldest boy turns 13 in just over a month. I should be preparing for his Bar Mitzvah. Instead, I am happy to just see him on his birthday, even if it means I will drive for 10 hours to get home on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. I could be mad and upset and sad about this.

But...............as I was starting my drive, I stopped at Starbucks. There were two Army servicemembers (soldiers?) behind me. I ordered and then saw them. As the first ordered, I told the barrista (isn't she just an employee?) to not charge them, I would pay for it. These guys were very happy and told me they are getting ready to go to Afghanistan. I thanked them for their service.

I was in a Starbucks full of 20 people. I could have done as the other 19 did and ignored them. I could make up excuse after excuse and not feel bad. I don't roll in the dough. I give clients time to pay me. I have 4 kids, a wife, 3 dogs and a house to pay for. I spent some money this weekend on my trip. I was tired from drunks keeping me up. I am sure the list could go on and on.

But, someone, at some point, has to stand up and say "I will do what others won't." I decided to be that guy today. I have done this before and I usually don't say anything about it. But I am tired. I am tired of people always having an excuse for not doing something. Someone has to be the guy who stops and says "Now is the time for change." If not me, then who? If not now, then when? Fine, they are cliche, but they are true.

So, here is my challenge to you. The next time you are at a Starbucks or any other coffee shop, the grocery store, the fast food place, a restaurant, and you see a police officer, firefighter, servicemember walk in, pay for their meal. (Fine, you are anti-war, anti-police and anti-firefighter, than do it for the person behind you.) Maybe its a $4 coffee. Maybe it is a $20 dinner. Maybe you can make 1,000 excuses like I could have today. But, maybe, just maybe, when you are done, you will feel better about yourself. And maybe, if we are lucky, someone else will see you do it and will decide to do it.

I have 800 followers on twitter. I have over 400 "friends" on Facebook. That is 1,200 people. If half of you step up and do it, 600 people, just buy one cup of coffee, that is 600 people who will have their days bettered by a simple act of kindness. I always asked my dad why pyramids don't work. He explained to me how you had to continually have more people involved. This is why this works - it starts with 1. Then 2. Then 4. Then 8. If 600 people do this. then we can get 1,200, then 2,400, then 4,800, and do the math. It grows exponentially.

So, who is in? Who is willing to spend $5 to buy a cup of coffee for someone and meet my challenge?

No comments: