Tuesday, September 25, 2012

10 years

10 years ago today I got one of the two worst phone calls of my life. My mom called. My dad had died. He was in the hospital for a bowel obstruction. He called me and left me a message. I didn't call back because he was going to be home in a few days. It wasn't a big deal. Except, it was.

Since then, I have had two children, one, Miles, named for my dad. He reminds me so much of my dad. He even talks about getting his PhD. (Okay, so he doesn't call it his PhD but he wants to be Dr. Stein.) And, of course, my Brooklyn, my baby, my sweet girl.  My dad would like her so much.

So much has happened in the last 10 years. While he saw me graduate from law school, he died before I was admitted to the Bar. He wasn't there when I opened my own law firm. He missed the birth of my baby.

There have been good times and bad times. But, tonight, its not about sadness. Its about honoring my dad. I tried to make today a good day. I spent the day with my kids. I enjoyed their company. And, tonight, I will have a cold one for my dad.

To the best man I ever knew....to the smartest man I ever knew...to the man who taught me that being a man isn't about being the toughest guy or the biggest guy or the strongest guy, but being a man is about taking care of your responsibilities, be it your wife and kids, your friends, or, rarely, kicking someone's ass, about doing your best work the first time and about living your life according to what is right........I love you dad and I miss you. And this one is for you tonight.

God Bless you, dad.

1 comment:

Fitzesq said...

You know how I feel about this, and about you. You're a great dad, and your dad would be very proud of you.