Sunday, January 22, 2012

Profile - Tanya Hernandez

I went to high school with a guy from South Africa. This was the late 80s and the world was different. Apartheid was still the official policy in South Africa and Nelson Mandela was in prison. I always find it fascinating talking to people from South Africa who lived there during this time. One such person is Tanya Hernandez of Elk Grove.


Tanya was born in Durban, South Africa, the third largest city in South Africa. She attended a modeling school by Bonita Boyle. Graduating high school at 16, Tanya opened a modeling school at 17 in Johannesburg. Tanya realized that her younger brother was shy but he “had developed a new found confidence as he learned to pose and model on the catwalk. It was amazing to see the transformation in not only my sibling, but also in the many students in such a short space of time.” Tanya opened her school with 8 students and doubled the number of students in a short period of time.


In 1995, Tanya’s family packed up their home, left their jobs, and were on their way to the airport. Upon checking their passports, they realized that Tanya’s had a note that she could not leave the country because she was 18 and she needed a US Company to sponsor her or a college that would grant her a study visa. Tanya’s dad had been hired by a US company that had paid all of the expenses and arranged for their stay in the US. But with less than 2 hours until they left, Tanya was not able to leave. Her family ran to the immigration office. Then, fate intervened.


Tanya tells the next part of the story better than I can. “Condoleezza Rice was in South Africa at that time. She overheard my dad talking to the (immigration) officer, saw me in tears, came to the desk where we were, took my passport, went to the back, made a phone call, came back and handed me my passport with an approved stamp in it. The officer was being a typical jerk but for some reason she helped us. I believe it was God.”

Tanya made it to the US but was not allowed to work. She left her school, her job at a bank and her life to come to the US and have to start again in a new country. Tanya is not one to “sit around idly,” so she volunteered for five years for WEAVE (Women Escaping A Violent Environment). With her background, Tanya was asked to train women on how to dress for success. Tanya calls it “absolutely amazing and so rewarding” to watch these women transform their lives.


Tanya then obtained her degree in Fashion Merchandising from the California Academy of Fashion Merchandising and Design. Because of her visa status, she had one year to find a job. Tanya started working with stores, churches and non-profits as a fashion show coordinator helping with fundraising. She also started teaching modeling through the Cosumnes Community Services District.


Tanya got married in 2007. Then, she moved to Florida with her husband and in March, 2008 had her first child. She became ill with pneumonia and was taken to emergency. This may have saved Tanya’s life. She was examined and the doctors noticed moles on her back. Tanya went back to the doctor and a subsequent visit revealed that she had a rare form of cancer that was close to her blood stream.


Tanya says “Being a new mommy, and a newlywed and hearing news like this was devastating! I questioned God so much when I got the news and thought my life was over. I didn't know what was going to happen... I questioned God on my purpose on this earth, there was so much I didn't understand. It was heartbreaking and frightening all at the same time. I hugged my boy closely each and every day with hopes that I would someday see him grow up.”


After a few surgeries, the cancer was removed. Tanya could not walk on her foot for weeks at a time. But she survived and moved back to Elk Grove in December 2009. Tanya is a a certified fitness instructor whose certifications include Macumba® Fitness, AFAA Primary Group Fitness Exercise Instructor, Step Aerobics, Hi Lo Impact Aerobics, Pilates, Pre-Natal Fitness, Mat Science I, Mat Science II, FiTour Personal Training, Zumba®, Zumba® Gold, Jeannie Fit Hip Hop U and Masala Bhangra® Workout. WHEH! In fact, Tanya was hired by the WNBA to teach Zumba® Fitness for a week long health and fitness tour and then she had an opportunity to teach Zumba® to the Sacramento Kings Royal Court Dancers!

Tanya had her second child on October 16th, 2011. She began teaching fitness classes once again just once a week at Deane Dance Studio in EG after taking time off to be with her baby. Now, Tanya says “For years people have asked me to make DVD's of my classes and the time has come where I am finally turning those requests into a reality. My program will have it's own clothing line, DVD's, instructor training programs, etc... It's a new journey and I'm excited about it!”

Tanya came to the US, by the skin of her teeth. She overcame visa issues, obtained her education, got married and survived cancer. Now she is living the American dream and is an inspiration!

No comments: