Monday, August 3, 2009

Calderon, Nava, Miller and NACA

For those of you who don't remember, the geniuses at the State Capitol have decided to introduce SB 94and AB 764. These bills, by Senator Calderon and Assemblymember Nava, would basically ban consumers from getting help from attorneys in foreclosures. Howard Miller, president elect of the State Bar, wrote a letter supporting these bills while the current State Bar president, Holly Fujie, was on vacation in Italy. Apparently it wasn't important enough for her to return to attend the meeting, hook up a web cam or break out the old reliable AT&T to call in to the meeting.

Anyway, while these bill will make it so consumers cannot get legal help, hey will allow NACA to continue. NACA in this case is the Neighborhood Assistance Corporation of America, an alleged non profit. I say alleged because a non profit can still make a profit. These folks, me thinks, make a profit.

So, NACA was in Cleveland and claimed to do 5,000 loan modifications between a Friday and a Monday. Folks, that is 1,250 per day - including weekends. Call your bank on Saturday. Let me know if they are open. See if you can get a loan modification on a Saturday. Call on Sunday and see if you can get a person to even answer the freaking phone. You can't. Trust me on this. But NACA is claiming 5,000 over 4 days. Some people just don't believe them and the BBB won't give an endorsement to NACA because of a "lack of transparency."

Let me see if I get this right. I know where I get paid - its the client. I do the work and can document the work that is done. The client pays for work and the work is done. Its not always successful but anyone who claims a 100% success rate is a liar - of the worst kind.

NACA on the other hand won't, can't or chooses not to say how it gets paid. Some of questioned their payments. Are they being paid by lenders? Are they being paid by the borrower? Are they being paid by the Feds? Are they being paid twice on a case? Three times? They won't answer the questions - hence the lack of transparency cited by the BBB.

Of course, Nava and Calderon, in their lack of ability to think things through, are about to create a system where only NACA and its ilk will even be able to offer services to homeowners. Well, NACA and the banks, who will have no oversight by anyone. That should be a good system - if you don't mind the inmates running the prisons.

Once again - Senator Calderon, Assemblymember Nava and Howard Miller, I make the same offer to you - a public debate about loans, foreclosures and the system. You name the time and the place. I will be there. Now, since the three of you think you have no accountability, I don't expect any of you take me up on it, but if you decide, I am here. Any takers?

No comments: