Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Florin High School Law Fair

So yesterday I was asked to be a "presenter" at the Florin High School Law Fair. (I think that is the official name, although I will defer to someone from Florin High School for the official name.) It turns out that Florin High School has a law club. Did you know that? I sure didn't. It was a great event. But, it struck me how little we know about our schools.

Last year, EGUSD was considering a boundary change for kids in Laguna West. I was an outspoken critic. I was a loud, outspoken critic. My problem was not the schools, but was the process. I spoke out twice - once at a "community meeting" and once at the school board meeting. Both times, I tried to make it clear that my concern was not the schools, after all I think Laguna Creek High School, where my kids will go, is a good school. My concern was with the way this was presented.

I have subsequently spoken to the two men who, at least in my opinion, were pushing the idea. I may still have a disagreement, but when you talk to them, both of them come across as reasonable men who have explained their ideas to me. I appreciate that.

However, some of the parents had a problem with the schools. They thought, or maybe still think, that both Harriet Eddy Middle School and Laguna Creek High School are bad schools. This is based on some "reputation," which, quite frankly, I don't know about. I have heard about fights, but I cannot think of a high school that I know about that doesn't have fights.Yesterday made me realize that these parents are wrong.

So what does a law fair at Florin High School have to do with the ideas people have about Laguna Creek High School? How can the two be related? Its easy, really.

Prior to this week, I would have assumed the following about Florin High School: its in a rougher part of town, the kids are not going to be high achievers, I would talk to a lot of kids who don't really care, and I wouldn't choose it as my first school to go speak to. These were my assumptions. Fair or not fair, we all have them. And, I am man enough to admit it - I was WRONG!

These kids blew me away. Smart, funny, high achieving. It took me about 20 minutes to really warm up to them yesterday. But, I still haven't forgotten the interactions. These kids care. These kids want to succeed. Now, they may not have the tools they need, they may have issues at home or in the community that may hold them back, but don't tell me these kid's don't want to succeed. Four students stand out.

About 45 minutes into the program, I was approached by a group of four kids who asked some really good questions. A bit later, a guy, lets call him student 4, comes up to me and tells me that he is smart, but that he does not have focus. He says "Something you said really struck a nerve with me." I asked what that could be. He said "You said you get to help people. I think its cool that there is a job where you can help people."

In addition to this young man, three girls (are they called young ladies?) came up to me and made an impression. One of them had a good discussion with me about personal injury cases. She was struck by a car. She was articulate, thought about her questions, and really made an effort to engage. The other two girls had questions about landlord tenant law and were relating what I was talking to them about with what they were learning in their business law class. It was nice to see them make "connections" as my sons would call it from elementary school.

You see, my impressions of the school, my assumptions, my beliefs, were wrong. But, I didn't know they were wrong. I could not have known they were wrong. Why? Because I had never actually spent time at Florin High School. I had never talked to the kids. I had never met the Principal or Vice Principal. I had never even been to the campus.

Teenagers are snowflakes. No two are the same. We may think we know what they are like, but you have to go out into the snow to find out. Some of them are going to be hard and icy. Some are going to be soft and fluffy. Some of them are going to stick well to others and some are out there, floating, trying to find their way.

We can never assume that any two, even from the same school, the same neighborhood, the same street, are the same. I remembered that yesterday. And for that, I would like to thank the staff, advisors, administrators and students at Florin High School. I would be privileged and honored to come back and talk to you anytime.

No comments: