Friday, July 6, 2012

A sad day

So today I had to make a tough decision. In the grand scheme of things, it wasn't that tough. But it wasn't easy. I had to cancel a fundraiser.

A little background. My mom passed away a year ago. She died from breast cancer. It sucked. I decided to do something to honor her memory so I held a 24 hour soccer game called Soccer for the Cure. We donated the money, over $6,000, to Susan G Komen. Great. Wonderful. But I wanted to change it up this year. I wanted to do something to honor my 12 year old who is autistic. So, I came up with Soccer Speaks, a 12 1/2 hour soccer game to raise money for Autism Speaks.

Today, I cancelled the game that was supposed to be played in 2 weeks. Why? Because people suck. Yep. Let me just be perfectly clear. People fucking suck.

You see, I live in a town that wants to get an MLS team. Read through the archives and you will see I have blasted this idea before as dumb, stupid, idiotic, run by morons, and one of the worst ideas of my lifetime. This makes Ron Popeil look like a fucking genius. By the way, for those of you who do not know, MLS stands for Major League Soccer. What's that last word? Oh yeah, soccer. What are the chances of MLS coming to Elk Grove? Slim and none? WRONG! None and none.

But you know what? You want to get the attention of MLS? Ride my coattails. I would have been fine with it. MLS tweeted about Soccer for the Cure last year and about Soccer Speaks this year. I am followed on twitter by soccer folks. I know soccer. I dont know much, but I know I love you......oh wait, different post. I dont know much, but I know soccer. I had the attention of MLS. So if you were some small town outside of Sacramento and wanted to get on their radar what would you do? Oh yeah, support something like this.

Do you know what my town did? Nothing. Absolutely fucking nothing. Oh, when I ranted about MLS coming to town as being idiotic I was asked to give them a chance. That was your chance. You had a chance. You could have shown me I was wrong and that we could support professional sports when we can't finish building a mall. But you know what? I wasn't wrong. And this proves it.

So, Dear City Council for Hire, er, City Cou-weworkforwhoeverdonatesthemostmoney-ncil, er, City Co-nflictofinterest-uncil, you screwed this up. Oh, don't worry. You are not alone. You had plenty of help. But if you spend one dime of taxpayer money on this piece of crap idea run by a guy who has used his influence to get his convicted felon of a son a lower sentence, I will show up at every meeting and point out how stupid you are. I know, I don't have the money to pay you, er, donate to you so I can get what I want. But I do have the loudest mouth in Elk Grove. Just ask the school district.

As for you, Elk Grove "soccer" community, I use that term loosely. No, not community. Soccer. You think you support soccer? Could we have a more screwed up soccer community? I doubt it. We don't just have one league. We have like 6. Why? Because the adults continue to screw this up and ruin it for the kids. We really need more than one competitive club? Really? No. You adults need more than one so you can each wield your "influence" and think you are important. You think you know soccer? This is an open invitation to come play in my weekly game any time you want. That is soccer. What you do is a travesty.

You couldn't support a fundraiser? Really? Why? Because it wasn't your idea? You know what - you don't have any good ideas. You have ideas that make you think you are smart and cool and whatever. You get an F for promoting soccer.

And that goes for the rest of the soccer area around us. We call it District VI. Not 6. That would be the American thing to do. We call it VI so we seem European. We aren't. We are American. But I digress. I went and talked to the presidents of all of the leagues. The response? Ridiculously low. Really? You couldn't encourage your players and parents and coaches to support this?  That is more of an indictment of you and your "leadership" than it is of me.

So I am ticked. I am sad. I feel like I let down my son. I feel like I let down the people who had helped me up until this point. I also feel like I was let down by the "soccer" people who have no fucking clue as to what they are doing and have the leadership skills of communist Soviet Union. 

No comments: