Monday, September 21, 2009

The J.C. Show

Okay, I can't even use its real name. Its a radio show. But it is so bad, that I would hate for someone to go listen to it because of my blog. But...............

So I was driving to get dinner the other night. I am flipping through the AM dial looking for something other than a baseball game on the radio. Isn't baseball boring enough without having to listen to it? Anyway, I put on the station and WOW! The introduction starts with "You can pray to Jesus Christ. And now you can talk to him on the radio."

Even Johnny knows it is a sin. (Okay, Charlie Daniels Band. Devil Went Down to Georgia. Get it? Really, I need you to stay up on 70s songs if you are going to read this!) But apparently these people think it is okay to tell people to call in and talk to Jesus. For those of you reading this in California, that is not Jesus (Hay-zeus), but rather Jesus. One time, at law school, my estates professor called Hay-zeus to answer a question. Except she kept pronouncing it Jesus. As in the son of God. Repeatedly like Ben Stein calling out Bueller. It was hilarious. As in roll on the ground funny.

Anyway, the premise of the show is that you can call Jesus and ask questions. How does that work? Something like this:

Caller: "Hi Jesus. It is me Mary. Thank you for helping me in my life."
Host: "You are welcome, Mary."
Caller: "Jesus, I have jealousy in my heart. How do I get rid of jealousy?"
Host: "Mary, as you know, I have said jealousy is a sin........."

Yes, these people are calling in and pretending that the host on the radio show is Jesus. And he never gives his name. He answers as if he is Jesus. His telephone number is AREA CODE-HOLY-HOST. Yes, you call in to the HOLY HOST.

What the hell? Okay, pardon that expression. If I recall, isn't it a sin to worship anyone other than God? Now, I am not the most religious guy in the world, but I am pretty sure calling in to a dude who is pretending to be Jesus is not quite what God had in mind. I think he is cool with you asking questions to your priest/pastor/rabbi/shaman etc.... But some random dude on the radio? Really?

Imagine if Howard Stern had people call in and talk to Jesus? Or Rob, Arnie and whatever her name is? I am pretty sure the right wing conservatives would flip out. I think they would tell you that this is sacreligious or something. I think we would see someone right wing conservative nut job yelling and threats of a boycott. But this dude gets away with it.

And whats worse? He sells crap. You can buy t-shirts and knick knacks. They even sell cups. It aint a coffe cup. It aint a dixie cup. And you sure........no wait, it is a coffee cup. Okay, this reference is to obscure for 99% of the world. So, go watch it on Youtube: www.youtube.com/watch?v=BerJdS2VJhA

Seriously, these folks are making money off of pretending to be Jesus. And it is on regular radio. How can that be? Am I the only one offended by this? And I am not even religious. Seriously, how can anyone not be ticked off by this guy? He should at least man up and tell us his name.

I think the Jesus Christ Radio Show should really be called the Marshall Appelwhite Hour. (Go check out wikipedia and its funny. Trust me.)

No comments: