Saturday, November 30, 2013

An Ode To Tyler

My son Tyler is one amazing kid. He doesn't even know it. But he is. He is 14 and he has many "issues," but the kid is one amazing kid.

Thursday was Thanksgiving. It is one of my favorite holidays. Its a day to give thanks for all of the things we have in life. And, sadly, its one of the few days that people stop and give thanks. I like it.

For us, it was a day we got to spend with Tyler. We haven't spent Thanksgiving with Tyler in 3 years. So it was a special day. Tyler came and was such a good kid on Thursday.

And you know what? I wasn't happy with Thanksgiving. I had a million reasons to complain. I didn't like this or that or the other thing. And I was wrong. Dang it, its hard to admit when I am wrong, but it happens quite a bit!

You see, Tyler reminded me, when I thought about it, that Thanksgiving isn't about the food or the company or anything else. Thanksgiving is about giving thanks and being with family. It doesn't matter what was wrong with Thursday. What matters is what was right with Thursday.

The turkey wasn't perfect? Who cares? Shopping isn't the point. Getting up early (or going to bed late) isnt the point. The point is that I get to hang out with my son, go for a walk with him and generally be a goof ball. The rest of it: not important at all.

So thanks Tyler, for reminding me about Thanksgiving. You always teach me something new!

No comments: